Last Updated: Feb 15, 2017 Views: 30
The easiest way to search for Children's materials in our catalog is to start out your search as you would for any other search. Enter your search terms in the search box.
When you see your results list, look on the right side of the screen for the Narrow your search box. Choose 'Target Audience'. Depending on the age of the materials you are seeking, make your age group choice.
The numbers in parentheses indicate the number of materials available for that age group.
Here are definitions of the age group terms you may see:
- Preschool = Intended for children, approximate ages 0–5 years
- Primary = Intended for children, approximate ages 6–8 years
- Pre-adolescent = Intended for young people, approximate ages 9–13 years
- Adolescent = Intended for young people, approximate ages 14–17 years
- Juvenile = A broader definition intended for children and young people, approximate ages 0–15 years
If you narrow your search by the Target Audience, you can always back out of the choice you have made by unchecking the box.
To learn how to locate books by reading level, visit our page Finding Kids books by reading level.
Visit Sno-Isle for Kids for lots of great booklists and reading suggestions.
New Catalog Effective Feb. 1, 2017
The easiest way is to enter your search terms then use the Filter Audience = Children, in the left hand side of your results screen. This will narrow your results to all juvenile and easy materials.
You can also use the filter for Reading Level (Lexile Scores) to further refine your results.
Another alternative is to use Advanced Search. You can then search by Collection. Here is the list of Children’s Collections you can limit by:
- Easy Audiobook
- Easy Countdown (Countdown to Kindergarten titles)
- Easy Non-Fiction
- Juvenile Audiobook
- Juvenile Biography
- Juvenile Compact Disc (Music CDs)
- Juvenile DVD
- Juvenile DVD Educational
- Juvenile Fiction
- Juvenile Graphic Novel
- Large Type
- Non Fiction
- Readers (Early Chapter Books)
In general, Easy collections are for preschool and primary ages 0-8 years and Juvenile collections are for older children 9-13. There is overlap, so it is best to review the full description of the title.