Last Updated: Feb 15, 2017 Views: 21
Follow these steps to do a keyword search. You will find titles that contain your text in any field, or in a selected field, of the library catalog.
'Relevance' sorts titles in the search results so that those that seem most likely to meet your needs appear first in the list. Words that appear in both title and subject fields are considered in determining relevance. 'Most Popular' sorts titles in the search results so that the titles most frequently checked out or requested over the past 120 days appear first in the list.
- Click Search on the menu bar.
- Type the text to search for in the Keyword search for box. You may see suggested search terms as you type. You can ignore the suggestions and continue to type your search term, or click a suggestion to launch the search for the suggested term.
If you leave this box blank and just select an option in the "Limit by" box (see step 4), the search is launched and your results include all the materials that fit your "Limit by" selection.
- Click the Search by arrow symbol, and select a search field from the list:
Any Field - All the indexed information fields. *Note: you can include both the author and title using Any Field
Title - Title fields
Author - Author fields
Subject - Subject fields
General notes - Notes fields
Publisher - Publisher field
Genre - Forms or types of materials, such as science fiction, romance, biography, bibliography, or large type books
Series - Series fields
ISBN - International Standard Book Number, a 13-digit number that is assigned to a specific book or edition of a book when it is published. Type the wildcard character * at the beginning and end of the number you enter for best results.
ISSN - International Standard Serial Number, an 8-digit number that is assigned to a specific periodical publication. Type the wildcard character * at the beginning and end of the number you enter for best results.
- If you want to find only a certain kind of material or only items that are available , click the arrow symbol in the "Limit by" box, and select an option from the list. [Example: If you want to find only DVDs, select DVD in the "Limit by" list.]
- Click More Search Options for additional ways to make your search more specific.
- Click Go.
- If you want to have the search results sorted by a category other than the one displayed, click the Sort drop down box and select a sorting option.
New Catalog Effective Feb. 1, 2017
Keyword searching is the default search. Simply type in your search terms, hit enter and view results. You can get more helpful search tips from the Searching for titles help.